Bill Jonas on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:29:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

I got into this thread a little late, and I'm glad that the data got
recovered okay.

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:42:02PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> I don't personally know anyone who has actually moved platters, but
> it's a theoretically sound idea, and it would really impress your
> computer friends. 8-)

NO, don't do this under any circumstances.  The platters are in a
chamber that is hermetically sealed, and for good reason.  The
tolernaces inside a modern hard drive are such that the heads ride on a
small cushion of air above the platters at a height of less than a piece
of dust of a human hair.  If a contaminant were to get on one of the
platters, you'd have a near-guaranteed head crash.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F1997%2Faug97%2F081297%2F081297%2Easp
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art98/hdrive.html
http://www.abc-ctc.com/hard_disk.htm

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html