Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:00:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] from Paris to Phily

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:29:06AM +0100, christophe barbé wrote:

> Le 2001.12.05 22:43:54 +0100, gabriel rosenkoetter a écrit :
> >internet
> >> It's generally about $15-25USD per month.
> >
> >On the other hand, dial-up is really the low-end of the totem pole
> >these days.
>
> Yes but to have a correct price for a high speed connection you have to
> sign (and prepaid) for one year and I'm not sure that I will stay one year
> in my first house.

Some services you can move if you move. Some you can get a refund if
you move out of their service area. And, of course, some screw
you. Just be sure to check first. Broadband is *so* much nicer.

> >Cable modems and DSL access are quite common (and well-proliferated
> >around the Philadelphia area). I'm a bigger fan of (and subscriber
> >to) the latter, myself. Both DCANet, a local company that Bill
> >mentioned already, and Speakeasy.net (my ISP) provide quite reliable
> >DSL service in the Philly area. There are probably others.
>
> btw Are these providers using PPPoE or still DHCP ?

DCA gives me fixed IP, no pppoe garbage. It's very nice to know your
machine will be there when you want to access it from away.

--
 Jeff

 (of Philadelphia, temporarily in Paris...)