christophe barbé on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:40:09 +0100

Re: [PLUG] from Paris to Phily

Le 2001.12.05 22:43:54 +0100, gabriel rosenkoetter a écrit :
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:02:49PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:48:48PM +0100, christophe barb? wrote:
> > I would be interesting to have some information about dial-up
internet
> > access. How does it cost ?
> It's generally about $15-25USD per month.

On the other hand, dial-up is really the low-end of the totem pole
these days.

Yes but to have a correct price for a high speed connection you have to sign (and prepaid) for one year and I'm not sure that I will stay one year in my first house.
Cable modems and DSL access are quite common (and well-proliferated
around the Philadelphia area). I'm a bigger fan of (and subscriber
to) the latter, myself. Both DCANet, a local company that Bill
mentioned already, and Speakeasy.net (my ISP) provide quite reliable
DSL service in the Philly area. There are probably others.

btw Are these providers using PPPoE or still DHCP ?

(Speakeasy, btw, now has their Philadelphia POP open. My
connection's much better than when I was formerly routed through the
NYC POP and a whole lot better than when I was re-routed through the
Washington DC POP after the September 11 attacks broke the power
grid in lower Manhattan.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net