christophe barbé on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:30:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] from Paris to Phily

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:02:49PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:48:48PM +0100, christophe barb? wrote:
> We are ready to leave Paris but we are waiting to be
> sure to have an Apartment in Phily.

Welcome!

Thanks

> I would be interesting to have some information about dial-up internet
> access. How does it cost ?

It's generally about $15-25USD per month.  $20 is an exceedingly average
price.  Some providers charge a couple dollars more.  Others will charge
a little less if you pay for several months in advance.  If you get a
second phone line, you can expect to pay around $20/month for that as
well.

Is the call included in the 20$ cost? In france we have to pay the line for data access and for voice access (even local call) and we also need to give money to the ISP.

In France I was using a bundle including the ISP fee and 50 hours of
communications for 98francs (~13 US$).

> What are the provider names ?

There are local providers such as Netaxs (http://www.netaxs.com/) and
DCANet (http://www.dca.net/) and national providers such as EarthLink
(http://www.earthlink.net/).  I know that I've seen someone post a URL
containing a semi-definitive list of ISPs before, but I don't know where
it is; perhaps someone else will know.  There is some discussion of this
archived at <http://www.phillylinux.org/isps/>, and there appears to be
many relevant hits at
<http://www.google.com/search?q=philadelphia+dialup>.

Netaxs seems to be the more often mentioned.

Hope that helps.

Yes that helps. Thank you.

-- Bill Jonas * bill@billjonas.com * http://www.billjonas.com/

Developer/SysAdmin for hire! See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html