Mike Leone on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:00:32 +0100

Re: [PLUG] from Paris to Phily

> > It's generally about $15-25USD per month.  $20 is an exceedingly average
> > price.  Some providers charge a couple dollars more.  Others will charge
> > a little less if you pay for several months in advance.  If you get a
> > second phone line, you can expect to pay around $20/month for that as
> > well.
>
> Is the call included in the 20$ cost?
> In france we have to pay the line for data access and for voice
> access (even local call) and we also need to give money to the ISP.

The $20 is a monthly ISP charge, for unlimited usage. The charge from the
telephone company (Verizon, aka Bell Atlantic) for a phone line is
approximately $20 a month; you can sign up for what's known as unlimited
local calling, which is no extra, metered-charges per phone call, within a
"local" area. (Verizon can tell you is your ISP will be a local call for
you, once you actually get a phone line to call from).

Example: I had a $20 a month unlimited ISP charge from Plantagenet
(http://www.pil.net); I had a 2nd phone line, with unlimited local calling
(any calls within the city of Philadelphia) for $25 a month. Total was $45
for unlimited 56K dialup; I now pay a total of $50 for an unlimited 640K DSL
line. 1200% increase in speed; 11% higher cost.

Go broadband if you can. :-)

> Netaxs seems to be the more often mentioned.

NetAxs is the largest local ISP, and the 2nd largest in the area (Voicenet
is larger, but they're closer to being a natinal ISP than NetAxs).