gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 7 Dec 2001 05:50:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] from Paris to Phily

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:17:27PM +0100, christophe barbé wrote:
> Yes so to be concret, how many ? 50$/month

I pay Speakeasy $65 a month, but that's more than you need to pay.
I'm pretty sure DCANet will give you a better deal (and be a just
fine ISP). I had other reasons for wanting Speakeasy, which you
probably don't. (They touch directly with certain networks I use
frequently, I like their customer service plans, they also cover
areas I'm considering moving to after graduation from Swarthmore
College.)

> But AFAIK in france most ISP high speed offers let you manage the PPPoE
> yourself (this is what I have on my desk right now).  The cable modem
> doesn't speak PPPoE. We can still (foe a few weeks) use direct TCP/IP
> with it and connect to the network using DHCP but this ISP is switching
> to PPPoE (claiming 'improved security' when looking for more money by
> restricting 1 computer per modem).  Perhaps new modems take care of
> PPPoE, I'm not aware enough about it to generalize.

You're aware that DSL != cable modem, right? (Different transport
mechanisms, different bandwidth restrictions, different routing
model.) I like DSL better, since, though it typically doesn't peak
at as high a bandwidth, it is also not (as) subject to the latency
one sees during peak hours on a cable modem (at least, in my
experience).

Anyway, dealing with PPPoE is *far* more irritating than having a
piece of hardware that makes the headache go away. (Sort of the same
thing with ATM. Except that I actually understand how ATM manages
to get packets from one place to another. PPPoE is still basically
black magic to me, and I'd rather not touch it.) Fortunately, most
reasonable providers (as in, those that aren't also telcos and
trying to rape you for as much money for as little service as
possible) in the US do this the Right Way.

Oh, btw, if you're interested in investigating a cable modem in
Philly, you might take a look at RCN. They'll do your cable TV,
local/regional telephone service, and cable modem all for about $80
a month. (This ends up being quite a deal if you actually want all
those things, since cable TV alone comes out to something like $60 a
month. But you have to actually *want* all those services to make it
sensible.) I don't know anything about whether they use DHCP or any
of the other details, and they aren't everywhere in the Philadelphia
area quite yet, but they're maybe worth checking out.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net