LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 8 Dec 2001 21:40:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for a 'computer science' textbook...

To properly answer your question I would like to know how are the
students going to use the book?  Is the result for writing small
interpreted scripts, or are we looking at OS system design principals.
As you can see there is a wide variable.

>From what I read from your request is that the professor is looking for
some very basic beginner programming.

Here's my list:

Title				Author			Publisher
Beginning Linux Programming	Neil Matthew &		Wrox
				Richard Stones

Linux Unleashed			Husain, Parker, et al	Sams

These are very basic books that cover everything from C to the various
interperted languages

Guillermo Moyna wrote:

> Dear PLUG gang,
>
> A colleague here is teaching several bioinformatic courses, and asked
> me if I knew of any 'computer science' textbooks he could recommend
> to his students. Since I never learned any computer stuff in a
> 'formal' environment, I have no idea. Do you have any suggestions? He
> wants something that covers the basics (hardware, software, a bit of
> programming 'philosophy', maybe something that also touches
> databases, etc.). I know that one would usually use specific
> books/sources for each topic, but it's likely that there is a
> textbook out there that has a bit of everything bundled-up.
>
> TIA,
>
> Guillermo
> +==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
> Guillermo Moyna, PhD
> Assistant Professor of Chemistry
> Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
> University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
> 600 South 43rd Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
>
>   "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
>    All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.
>
> Office: Grifith Hall 360
> Phone:  (215) 596-8526
> Fax:    (215) 596-8543
> e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu