Michael C. Toren on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:53:56 -0500

Re: [PLUG] MTA (e.g., sendmail) question

> I have my MTA (sendmail, but it doesn't have to be) set to consider a
> particular machine as smarthost, i.e., all mail not deliverable
> locally is handed to smarthost.
>
> I'm trying to think of a way to have my MTA establish an ssh tunnel to
> deliver to smarthost. (Yes, smarthost is ok with it.) This would,
> believe it or not, simplify something else...

Starting with version 8.11, sendmail has had support for the SMTP TLS
extensions (RFC2487) which allows for SMTP transaction to be conducted
over an SSL encrypted session.  For more information, see:

	http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html

-mct