Mike Cramer on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:10:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] MTA (e.g., sendmail) question

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I'm trying to think of a way to have my MTA establish an ssh tunnel to
> deliver to smarthost. (Yes, smarthost is ok with it.) This would,
> believe it or not, simplify something else...

I briefly got this working to get around Earthlink's block on
outgoing port 25 traffic. The trick I used was, basically:

1) set up an ssh TCP tunnel from some arbitrary port (say 2525) on
the localhost to port 25 on the remote host.

2) use iptables to rewrite outgoing connections to smarthost:25 to
go through localhost:2525.

It worked fine, but was only necessary until I realized that Earthlink
allowed you to send email through their mail server as whoever you like,
as long as you were dialed into their network.

--Mike