gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:20:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Dual processor box using only one processor

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 06:52:54PM -0500, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> I'm not totally sure, but, I know that a friend of mine accidently installed
> the smp kernel on his SuSE 7.1 box.  It took him a week to figure out why
> the thing wouldn't boot.  Since this was a 2.4 kernel and presumably
> 'smarter' than a 2.2 kernel and the 2.4 wouldn't work with an SMP kernel on
> a single processor system, I would think that this would not work for you
> either.

Your friend's problem almost definitely had to do with the lack of a
proper SMP-enabled system bus detection on attaching the motherboard
during the boot sequence.

That's not he same as Guillermo's problem.

> The problem is, the kernel sort of hangs during startup waiting for
> the second processor to respond (and since the second processor isn't there,
> it waits forever).

No, it flakes out because it doesn't see what it needs in the system
bus.

Do SMP kernels complain when there are only two processors installed
on a board that can carry four? This is anoter specific form of the
same general problem; there's no reason to bail if the hardware
you're running on supports SMP. (The reasons to bail when it doesn't
aren't particularly good, but they exist.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net