Bill Jonas on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:13:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Internet Script (For Windows 2000)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 12:13:42PM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> Is it possible to write a script, so I can launch my internet connection
> via Web-browser? In other words, is it possible to do 'sudo wvdial &' and
> 'sudo route add default ppp0' using language like perl or c++ ?

Well, you could certainly write a CGI script to do it, but it would need
to run as root.  I suppose it might not be too bad if you have only
trusted machines on your network and firewall requests to that port
coming in from outside your network.  You can't use a shell script
because Linux ignores the SUID bit on shell scripts for security.
Actually, any scripted language.  Perl can emulate the SUID bit by
calling a special copy of itself which is SUID root.

Or I suppose it might be possible to use sudo or su from a CGI shell
script.  Getting the password in there might be a bit of a problem; you
can't just send the password in on standard input.  You'd probably need
to use the expect language for that.  Yes, a small CGI with a password
entry field, maybe radio buttons to tell it what you want it to do
(dial, hang up) might work quite nicely.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html