Michael C. Toren on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:26:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Internet Script (For Windows 2000)

> > Is it possible to write a script, so I can launch my internet connection
> > via Web-browser? In other words, is it possible to do 'sudo wvdial &' and
> > 'sudo route add default ppp0' using language like perl or c++ ?

You may be interested in configuring pppd to install a default route for
you, so that you don't need to do it by hand each time you connect.  I
believe the appropriate keyword in your pppd options file is "defaultroute".

> Well, you could certainly write a CGI script to do it, but it would need
> to run as root.  I suppose it might not be too bad if you have only

pppd is commonly installed suidroot to get around this problem.  Also,
I would recommend searching freshmeat before you spend time writing a
custom CGI solution; there are a number of HTTP interfaces to wvdial
and the like already in existence.

-mct