Kevin Brosius on Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:40:27 +0100

Re: [Fwd: Re: [PLUG] radiance in linux]

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:17:55PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Yes, it looks like the MTA on this end...  I never received anything
> > beyond (or including) the 'From google' line.  So, it's common practice
> > to add '>' in front of From if it appears at the beginning of a line in
> > mail?  It looks like our MTA doesn't do that...
>
> It, or something that's logically the same thing, is the only way to
> deal with the mbox message-separation problem. (There are people who
> will tell you that using a Content-Length: line solves this. It
> doesn't, it just allows for messages to accidentally include too
> much of the file rather than to accidentally include to little.)
>
> The rest of your message is probably in your mail spool somewhere,
> maybe delivered as a separate message (probably not caught by any
> Procmail filters you're relying on). If the MTA actually broke when
> the mail was outgoing, then it probably generated a postmaster email
> (to a totally bogus adress; whatever the first word after From was
> on that line), and your MTA's postmaster is (or, more likely, isn't)
> dealing with the repercussions.
>
> This munging of messages *might* not be necessary on systems that
> store their mail spools in maildir rather than mbox format. I've
> never tried doing that, as it's always sounded like a really good
> way to run out if inodes on /var and break log rotation to me.
> (Though, I suppose /var/mail could be made a separate partition...
> then all you break is mail delivery. Woo hoo.)
>
> What's the MTA? I'm pretty sure all of the commonly seen Unix MTAs
> (Sendmail, Postfix, qmail) do insert the >.
>
> It could also be that a MTA that's doing routing between
> lists.phillylinux.org and you (but not between it and me) is losing
> on the From issue.

Oh.  It's the Netscape display client.  Ugh.  I can see the full text of
a similar message in the mail spool before Netscape retrieves it.  And
it's also in the Netscape Inbox with full text.  The client just stops
displaying it at the 'From' line.

--
Kevin Brosius