Jason Costomiris on Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:20:30 +0100

Re: [PLUG] questions on an office-wide conversion

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 09:53:36AM -0500, Jackie Patti wrote:
: 1. My previous experience with Linux has been primarily through MC on
: our servers rather than GUI-based.  My husband set up a small box with
: KDE on Redhat recently and when I was playing with it, it seemed
: really slow.  The box had 64 Meg of RAM and appeared to me to be
: significantly slower than Windows 9X on a 32 Meg box.  Are we just not
: figuring out the best implementation yet?  Is Gnome better?  Or does
: putting a GUI on Linux make it slower than a Windows box and I just
: have to plan to need lots of RAM?

Telling us that the box has 64MB really doesn't tell us anything.
CPU?  Video type?  Other notable items?

: 2. We do a lot of MS Access development work.  Does anyone have
: experience running Access97 or Access2000 on WINE?  Is it do-able?  Or
: am I just going to need to keep a box set up with Windows for this
: type of work?

Access?  Eww..  I'm sorry.  Probably not under WINE, but definitely
under VMWare.

: 3. My sales and admin people aren't actively opposed to changing, but
: they are already familiar with Windows and will need training.  Anyone
: know a good end-user course for StarOffice?

This is something I just don't get...  Training for basic office
applications?  It's not like you're asking them to do aeronautical
simulations or anything.  It reminds me of a conversation that went on
directly behind me in CompUSA yesterday.  Two people were talking about
how much they need to get into a class for MS Word, because they couldn't
figure out how to do anything.  It's a stinking typewriter for crying
out loud!  You wonder what a button does?  Point the mouse at it and
it even tells you!  I can understand a short tutorial book or quick
CBT for teaching end-users, but a full-on training class?

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.