Michael Leone on Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:40:30 +0100

Re: [PLUG] questions on an office-wide conversion

On Sat, 2001-12-15 at 11:10, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> : putting a GUI on Linux make it slower than a Windows box and I just
> : have to plan to need lots of RAM?
>
> Telling us that the box has 64MB really doesn't tell us anything.
> CPU?  Video type?  Other notable items?

Well, maybe not LOTS more, but more than 64 - 64 is the about the
minimum needed to be really effective in KDE.  My opinion - KDE is
better than Gnome, especially for ex-Windows users. Again, opinion only.
There are other window managers that are less memory intensive.

> : 2. We do a lot of MS Access development work.  Does anyone have
> : experience running Access97 or Access2000 on WINE?  Is it do-able?  Or
> : am I just going to need to keep a box set up with Windows for this
> : type of work?
>
> Access?  Eww..  I'm sorry.  Probably not under WINE, but definitely
> under VMWare.

Access will also work under Win4Lin, which is a cheaper alternative,
both in price and resources used. I have used Office2000 under Win4Lin,
altho not personally used Access.

> : 3. My sales and admin people aren't actively opposed to changing, but
> : they are already familiar with Windows and will need training.  Anyone
> : know a good end-user course for StarOffice?
>
> This is something I just don't get...  Training for basic office
> applications?  It's not like you're asking them to do aeronautical
> simulations or anything.

For sure training. I have Windows people who barely get the concept of
having multiple windows open; think they're gonna intuit mail-merging in
Word with an Access database as a data souce? :-)

> figure out how to do anything.  It's a stinking typewriter for crying
> out loud!  You wonder what a button does?  Point the mouse at it and

Very much more than a typewriter, actually. Especially for non-computer
people to figure out.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Dept. of Roads, Hades.