christophe barbé on Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:50:37 +0100

Re: [PLUG] [OT] buy a second-hand car (From Paris To Philly)

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:08:31AM -0500, Kuzman Ganchev wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:53:21AM -0800, multiple seriousity wrote:
> > also, your driving record.. is it good? is there any way to get a copy of
> > your driving record (in other words something from the license issuing
> > authority/police there that might state any record of accidents, tickets,
> > driving history or lack thereof? I dont know what sort of ability they
> > have to check foreign records, or how they treat foreign drivers, but it
> > doesn't hurt to be prepared ...
>
> In most countries, a letter from the foreign insurance company serves as
> evidence (since they were the ones that had to pay), however in the US this is
> not the case, from the experience that my parents have had. I'm not sure if a
> document from a licensing authority is different, but in the case of my parents
> they treated the case as "You have no driving record".

I'm prepared to hear that. btw 'driving record' and 'credit history' are
not used in France, I believe that they are even forbiden by a law called
'Informatique et Liberté' which limits the use of clients database.

   Christophe