Guillermo Moyna on Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:20:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Question on 'dd' - Saving a system disk II...

Bill,

If you get errors when the output file hits two gigabytes, use this pair
of commands instead:

# dd if=/dev/sda >drive-image.bin

# dd of=/dev/sda <drive-image.bin

This worked beautifully! I Think I will devote one of the new 80 GB drives I got to store whole copies of the system disks from my compute worstations as backups. For 200 bucks, it beats having to dick around with tapes, cartridges, etc., etc., and once you 'un-dd' it, you get your system back. Granted, you need to be able to get identical disks all the time, but...

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu