Bill Jonas on Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:13:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] CD Won't Play

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 08:00:36PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Uh... he can. He *is* webergt, the owner of /dev/scd0. Either his
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole is chmoding this for him or he's
> done it by hand. (I haven't really been following this thread.)
>
> root happens to own the sym link, but that's not relevant.

Oh.  I didn't notice that his user was the owner of the device file.
I'm not used to individual users having ownership of devices.  (Which I
think is a bad idea anyway.)

> That'd be the "disk" group, not the "cdrom" group, judging by the
> above, and probably should be left alone to stay in sync with his
> distro's automated security checking (presuming it does any).

No, I did mean cdrom.  I'm unsure of how other distributions do it, but
with Debian, all the disk devices have group ownership of "disk".  There
is also a "cdrom" group, which is the proper group to own CD-ROM
devices.  This way if you want to grant 660 permissions to CD-ROMs, you
don't give R/W access to other disks to users you want to have access to
the CD-ROM.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html