jbeck on Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:22:01 -0500

[PLUG] Re: How to set up SSH?

gabriel rosenkoetter writes:

I've been presuming we're talking about 10/100BaseT ethernet. We're
at least talking about a private network (which is what makes me
think that ftp is just fine...

Yes, we are talking about a 10/100BaseT ethernet (private network) - sorry, I should have specified that.

That's not exactly what I said. I think encryption should be used
exactly when it's actually necessary. If you're dealing with an
internal network access to which is blocked on the relevant ports,
then there's no need for encryption and it'll just slow things down
that might as well be fast.

I don't believe that there is any need for encryption in my case. I only started asking about SSH because as newbie, that seemed to be the most prevelant form of connection discussed here and on other lists, etc. I just really need to be able to connect to transfer files internally, as well as have access to configure MySQL from the computer in the living room to the one in the bedroom without having to walk back there! :-)

Thanks again for your help!