Paul on Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:40:20 +0100

Re: Fwd: Re: [chlug] Re: [PLUG] specifying a port

> > Is printing over the Internet this easy, or am I missing some
> > important details?
>
> some sort of security so you don't come home and find out that
> there are two hundred printouts for joe's seafood restaurant?
>
> anyways, there's only one way to find out if it works. :)

I just did an experiment with port forwarding.  I redirected my
telnet port to my HTTP port.  It worked.  Maybe if my nose stops
running I will be able to go and try printer port forwarding.

As far as security goes, I figure the firewall can limit requests to
the remote office's IP address.

What Covad wants to do is assign public IPs to all internal devices
including PCs.  Is that secure?  How many IPs should be needed to
connect an e-mail server, a printer, and a few PCs to the Internet?