Chuck Peters on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:50:16 +0100

Re: Fwd: Re: [chlug] Re: [PLUG] specifying a port

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Paul wrote:

> > > Is printing over the Internet this easy, or am I missing some
> > > important details?
> >
> > some sort of security so you don't come home and find out that
> > there are two hundred printouts for joe's seafood restaurant?
> >
> > anyways, there's only one way to find out if it works. :)
>
> I just did an experiment with port forwarding.  I redirected my
> telnet port to my HTTP port.  It worked.  Maybe if my nose stops
> running I will be able to go and try printer port forwarding.
>
> As far as security goes, I figure the firewall can limit requests to
> the remote office's IP address.
>
> What Covad wants to do is assign public IPs to all internal devices
> including PCs.  Is that secure?

If you keep all the machines secure at all times, sure it is.  I just
would not expect to keep all the machines secure at all times.

> How many IPs should be needed to
> connect an e-mail server, a printer, and a few PCs to the Internet?

One should be all you need, but 2 or 3 might be better.  One IP/machine
for the firewall running NAT/ipmasq for all the internal machines and one
IP/machine for the mail server and maybe one for the printer.

If I were doing it with one IP, I would use a Debian box with 2.4 kernel,
iptables, put 3 nic cards in the firewall (maybe 4 nic cards depending on
where the printer is) and port forward the mail to one and NAT/ipmasq the
internal machines.

Thanks,
Chuck