Darxus on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:50:16 +0100

[PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!

<compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!
<Darxus:#plug> just discovered apt for the 1st time ?
<compumike:#plug> yup...my 1st time ;-)
<Darxus:#plug> heh
<Darxus:#plug> mind if I post this conversation to the list ?
<compumike:#plug> heh...i guess its ok

apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade

^ this command line upgrades every package that's installed to the
current version, downloading packages from the debian archive.

apt-get update ; apt-get install packagename

^ will download packagename and everything it depends on, and install it.
If the package is already installed, it will upgrade it to the current
version.

Note that I was able to correctly guess why mike liked debian so much
suddenly before he told me.  I've heard this reaction many many times.

<compumike:#plug> i've been a redhat man all along
<compumike:#plug> thought i was all cool with my rpms and lots of --force and --nodeps...
<compumike:#plug> but now i've seen the light!!!
<compumike:#plug> so is that enough promo-worthy material right there?

I figured this might get a couple more people to try debian, to see the
beauty that is apt.

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi