Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:30:18 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Debian specs?

> Kind of a drawback if the latest stable is 'too old'.
> i am kinda bummed cause i just ordered 2.2r4 cds.

Doesn't matter. That's why I'm nuts about debian.

> Can you use apt - to upgrade potato to woody - in effect upgrade your
> entire distro.

Of course.

apt-get dist-upgrade

I'd check the debian web site for more hints on this. You may need to type
some other lines as well in order to upgrade apt, first. I have upgraded
several boxes. I did have some minor tweaks to make, but nothing as bad as
what I'm experiencing now w/ the 'other guys'.

I have found debian to have same strengths and weaknesses of linux itself.
Too many choices, too much flexibility. Also, config files are slightly
diff than rh. Takes a bit of getting used to, but some of us think it's
totally worth it. The main thing that's great about debian is the
community.

rant on

Aside from religious 'free' issues (which I admire, btw), the fact that
debian is completely free means that people seem to be more open about
things. I've noticed that some commercial distro users were getting to the
point where people felt that the corp that made the distro should worry
about all problems. This is good for people who feel that their computer
is a 'black box' that should 'just work' but that's no fun to others.

rant off

Fred