Bob Razler on Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:30:21 +0100

RE: [PLUG] SDRam vs. RDRam

Hello:

	Well, I think the article is right on point.  If you go through most
of the reviews by hardware sites, they always mention how RAMBUS
provides more memory bandwidth then the other types (DDR and SDRAM).
In most memory benchmarks, the chipset using RDRAM our perform the
others.  However, not all applications will be memory bandwidth
limited.  RAMBUS also had a latency issue that is described in detail
in the articles below.

	RAMBUS has had a tough time because of 2 reasons:  It was very high
priced and the company's tactics.  It has been well received because
of that.  However, the prices are down now and RAMBUS lost the patent
suit with the various memory makers, so they are back to just selling
memory rather then patent lawsuits.

	If you drop by www.arstechnica.com and read Hannibal's RAM guides,
Parts 1-3, you will get the most comprehensive overview of the
competing technologies that I have found:

	http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/ram_guide.part1-2.html

	You should also read Anand's review of the technology.  Its good as
well:

	http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1239&p=1

Bob