Michael Leone on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:02:06 -0500

[PLUG] Re: PowerPC rambling

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 16:49, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > Substitute "Dell" for "Apple", and "Intel-based" for "PowerPC-based"; you
> > wouldn't call a system built from generic Intel-based parts a Dell machine,
> > would you? Aren't ALL PCs based on pretty much open standards such as PCI,
> > USB, etc? The BIOS may not be, however.
>
> IA32 is most definitely NOT an open standard. It happens to be
> pretty well cloned, though, to the extent that binaries built on
> my AMD Athlon Thunderbird system work just fine on this old Pentium
> 133 laptop. (AMD still must reverse engineer new Intel chips in
> order to mimic their functionality, last I heard.)
>
> PowerPC most definitely IS an open standard. Last time I checked,
> if you have the chip fabrication facilities, you are welcome to
> press your own. (And both IBM and Motorola have.) If you want to
> sell them, of course, you may need to give various corporations some
> money.

What - don't we ALL have our own chip fabrication plants? :-)

Actually, I was referring to many different motherboard manufacturers,
available from many sources; more than 1 Intel-style CPUs (Intel, AMD,
those Cyrix chips); etc.

But more importantly ... an Apple is much more than just a collection of
off-the-shelf PowerPC-based hardware. What makes it an *Apple* is their
proprietary stuff - the OS. Ditto a Dell - I can use the same basic
parts as they do (Intel CPU and motherboard, MAxtor drive, etc); but
what I don't have is what they offer (in terms of support, accessories,
etc. So I can't really refer to my home system as a "Dell", even tho I
built it to just about the same specs as my work PC that actually IS a
Dell.

So if you're not gonna use any of the things that make an Apple more
than just another PowerPC-based system, is it really an *Apple*?
Doubtful. Without the specific firmware and OS, it might as well be an
IBM RS6000, or some other system based on the same hardware specs. My
opinion.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Dept. of Roads, Hades.