christophe barbé on Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:10:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Update on My Debian Progress

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:14:36AM +0100, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 08:29:37AM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:48:18PM -0500, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> > So my advice:
> > [...]
> > . Never install broken deb, instead send a bug against the broken
> > package and if you can't wait try to solve it yourself.
>
> How does one submit a bug against a broken package? I suspect debian
> somehow makes this easy? But I don't see dpkg --bug.

I believe there's a tool to do that from a shell but I use the web
interface. Usually I search the package on package search page on
debian.org and then after the description you have a link to the debian
BTS (bug tracking system). Then first I check if the bug is already
there. If yes I check if I can add informationto help solve the bug. If
no, I submit a new bug. After that you can easily add information by
sending it to the bug number (something like
'bugnumber'@bugs.debian.org).

You can find the BTS page for a given package by replacing the %s in the
following link by the name of the package :

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=%s

As a side note this (%s) is a way to define smart bookmark in galeon
(a powerfull feature).

Christophe