christophe barbé on Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:10:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Update on My Debian Progress

It's good to polute only in /usr/local but if you build a soft that
has a lot of dependencies (most of the times it's certainly the case),
your next debian upgrade will broke your in-/usr/local soft.

There is a debian tool (dh_make) that allow you to easily create a
debian package from a tarball and this is really easy if the source
uses autoconf & co.  With a home-build package, you will be informed
if the upgrade process broke a dependencies and you would only have
to rebuild your package against the upgraded libs.

I would suggest as a starting point the doc package :
   maint-guide

Christophe