Bill Jonas on Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:50:16 +0100

Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH (was: Re: [PLUG] Update on My Debian Progress)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:43:08AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> 2. Dealing with software provided in binary-only form.

Ah yes, you did say that.  My mistake.

> What's more, that is *clearly* a situation in which LD_LIBRARY_PATH's
> use could be wrapped in a shell script (and I'd argue that anyone
> who wants to do that on a regular basis will end up writing
> themselves a shell script to do it anyhow).

Actually, that's exactly how this application works.  When you compile
it (if you don't apt-get install it), it creates a very small library
and a shell script.  You run the shell script, which sets the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and executes /usr/bin/realplayer (or whichever program
you specify).  Then the library overrides open(), and if you're opening
/dev/dsp, it captures the data and records it to a .au file.  Then the
shell script runs sox on it to convert it to wav.  Pretty nifty, all in
all.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html