gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 9 Jan 2002 06:50:17 +0100

Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH (was: Re: [PLUG] Update on My Debian Progress)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:22:06AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I disagree.  :)
>
> It's useful for converting RealAudio streams to wav format, for example.
> http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/vsound/

Well, that falls under two of the conditions in which I said I
thought LD_LIBRARY_APTH was appropriate:

1. Development. (Doing that is something of a hack. And lets not
talk about the DMCA.)

2. Dealing with software provided in binary-only form. (LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is a fairly easy to make the stupidities induced by such software
less painful.)

What's more, that is *clearly* a situation in which LD_LIBRARY_PATH's
use could be wrapped in a shell script (and I'd argue that anyone
who wants to do that on a regular basis will end up writing
themselves a shell script to do it anyhow).

Cheers...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net