gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:30:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Web Server Hardware

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:37:00PM -0500, David Hull wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I will also be running an email server on the same
> box.  Our current setup is as an IMAP server and I would like to keep it that
> way.  Do the suggestions still hold?

Mostly.

You don't need a huge processor for either of these things (or for
both combined). I've done that and more (DNS) on a mac68k... a
68030, in fact, which means it was doing FPU emulation the whole
time. (Not that there's a lot of floating point math in anything
mentioned so far, of course.)

You may want to make sure you have reliable (and, in the latter
case, perhaps speedy) memory and disk, but that's just finding
reliable components vendors.

But you may not even have to buy a system for this. Does your
company have old macs or PCs that used to be desktops and are now
doorstops? What about Sparc IPCs or ELCs? Maybe an aging SGI Indy
the art guy's tossed aside in favor of a new Apple G4?

Any of those will run either Linux (erm, maybe not the Indy) or
NetBSD reliably and be more than capable of doing what you need.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net