gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:27:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Remote X

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:12:27PM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> I did that, I did get back my prompt. But x windows did'nt pop up.
> And yes, I do have x windows configured.

But there were no errors spit to your terminal?

> I didn't find anything of relevance.

Unfortunately, that may be true, but I'd like to see what's actually
in your logs for about five entries around the PAM messages relevant
to the ssh -f login.

If there's really nothing there, then start another sshd on the
server end (doesn't matter if you're not root) as

  sshd -d -d -d -p 2022 > /tmp/sshd.log 2>&1

Then, on the client end, do:

  ssh -v -v -v -f {host} {X command} 2> /tmp/ssh.log

... and let us see what's in the two log files. (Don't worry, ssh[d]
is smart enough not to log anything that would tell us about any of
your crytpographic secrets short of the location on your local
machine of your PKI key, which I'm guessing is default anyway.)

> When I sshed into the remote server, I did a 'w' and saw only one user
> being logged on. Is that the right answer? I thought I would have two,
> since I had previously sshed in, using the above suggestion.

If the X program did not connect successfully, then ssh -f won't
just hang around doing nothing, it will exit.

> I checked and saw this:
> <date> <remote host name> sshd(pam_unix)[20630]: session opened for user
> <blah>
>
> Hmm....now what can I do?

That's not enough. Could you copy and paste the actual log lines in?
(Obscuring the hostname afterwards is enough.)

That line's just telling you that login called the PAM shared
library and PAM said you could login.

One additional thought: do you have logs on the firewall? If so, are
they blocking packets that seem relevant? (Remember, X wants to
communicate in the 600n range.) If you're seeing nothing at all on
the firewall, then I'd start getting suspicious that your ISP is the
one blocking the X forwarding.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net