gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:25:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Remote X

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:54:34PM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> Yes to first Q. When I start up xterm, I am at the prompt for my own
> machine. I don't seem to get connected at all. No errors are spit out
> either.

Try it the other way, then, just for kicks.

local% ssh -X <remote host>
[login]
remote% xterm &

There should be some complaints spewed if it can't connect to what
ssh's -X flag has set $DISPLAY to (probably something like
localhost:10.0, where localhost means the host physically remote
from you, but that's connected via encrypted port-forwading to
your local machine.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net