eric@lucii.org on Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:00:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Cable Modem Goes Out?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:35:45PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:54:19AM -0500, William Shank wrote:
> >  Thanks for the response. My system goes down between 11am - 3pm on average,
> > but friday it was down until 2pm then again from about 3to5pm. It's very
> > annoying. Unfortunately, I'm not at home with the box when this occurs - i'm
> > trying to connect into it remotely, so I have no idea what the modem is
> > doing. But next time I'm home during that part of the day, i'm going to
> > check it.
>
> I've had some annoyances with my cable modem where the service will just
> stop for several minutes to longer.  All the lights are in their normal
> display.  Finally, I broke down and called tech support.  The tech told
> me to unplug the power to the cable modem for about one minute and then
> plug it back in.  That worked.  Since then, I do that whenever I have an
> unexplained outage, and I believe it's worked every (or nearly every)
> time for me.  It got to the point where I considered making a little
> powerbox with a push-button switch on it to cut the power for sixty
> seconds and then restore it.  I've just come off a long stretch (couple
> of months, maybe?) where I didn't have that problem.  A couple days ago,
> though, the problem resurfaced, but I haven't seen it since then.
>
> Cable has its advantages.  In my experience, reliability is not one of
> them.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html

I have experience just such outages with cable over the last two years.
It got so bad that I considered having the firewall/server box control
the power to the modem so it could power it off every night for a
minute or two.  Since I put the firewall/server box AND the cable
modem on a small UPS the problems were greatly reduced (we have weird
power here in Swarthmore.. light bulbs last for mere months and then
go out like flashbulbs!)

The recent trouble is, I believe, related to the @home-to-comcast
conversion.

Still, for all it's faults, you don't have to sign up for a year like
the DSL contracts I've seen.

Sigh.

Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth