gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:50:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] opensource question

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:39:47PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> 1. what headers / copyright info should I stamp into
>    the source codes (to properly track the authors /
>    protect the code)..is there a template README file
>    or something that I can just include in the tarball?

That depends on the license.

If you're interested in the GPL, you can read all about it here:

  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

If you want a BSD-style license (excluding the nasty advertising
line, of course) there's a good template here:

  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html

And, actually, http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ is a good place
to go for templates for all the open source license officially
approved by the Open Source Initiative.

> 2. Where to post it?

freshmeat.net?

> the only dilemna I am having right now is that the source
> is not really that good, alhtough I am working on that
> aspect.  (source code is about 1,800 lines, and loading
> is completely monitorless/keyboardless operation)

Putting it up some place like freshmeat and soliciting patches from
other folks would be a good way to get some help cleaning that up.

If this is something that other people have been thinking about
doing (or have been doing in less automatic ways), as I suspect it
is, you're liable to get a pretty good response.

(You'll also see a some people who just download and use it without
contributing, and then want you to provide support. The appropriate
response to those people is, of course, to point out that you're
glad to accept patches, but that your license states--and almost all
open source ones do--that no warranty is expressed or implied, so
you can't help them if you don't have time.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net