pinkee on Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:37:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] adding a second drive

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 06:54:32AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 06:01:55AM -0500, pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> > I appreciate any input, and am more than willing to answer the questions
> > I forgot to address in this :)
>
> Do you plan to leave the old 10 GB drive around?

Yes, my intentions were to keep the 10 GB drive as the drive that was
running the core os. Sort of a just in case. Basically if my drive
fails I have lost nothing a net install can't replace. The 10GB drive is
older and allegedly to be replaced by the co-owner of the box.

> What's the label on this disk look like now? (Is /home a separate
> partition, or on the same partition as /? What about /var?

I am still attempting to get my system to share this with me. I know
/var is its own partion. I believe /home is as well. Everything else
falls under / . I do not have a swap partition and am fairly confident I
would like one on both drives. I have been told that by setting up two
swap partitions of the same size on ba\oth drizes I can do some neat
stuff with RAID. I have also been told that swap partitions suck and I
should use swap files for flexibility. The bottom line is this is a
"toy" box, but I don't want it down. I rely on it for my mail and so do
a couple of other people, but I am willing to play a bit to see what
works best, and the people using the box are willing to have some
downtime while i do.

> How big are your existing /var and /home? Are they really growing
> fast enough to hit 80 GBs, realistically speaking? More importantly
> (since you've already bought the drive) are the *other* bits of the
> system that are growing significantly and belong on the new drive
> too?

I doubt I am going to hit 80GB anytime in the near future, which,
frankly, was the point. I will be adding another website, if only
mirror, and my son has a url and is slowly picking up html. (no cheat
tools in our house :)) I could envision having /etc on both drives to
protect from major oopsies, nut /etc is under / on th e10GB drive, so I
am not sure if I am running into major complications here.

> My favored way for moving files around within a system is this:
>
>   ( cd fromdir && tar cpf - . ) | ( cd todir && tar xpf - )
>
> This is almost always faster than rsync. Even across a network, you
> probably want to do something like the above piping through {r,s}cp
> (depending on the security of the network). It's only when you're
> trying to maintain two live file systems that people actually look
> at, and that need to be in sync that you want rsync. (And it kicks
> ass at that.)
>
> Hope this helps some...

I would definitely use scp, but I am really only moving in my box. I
have frequent access to my collo facility (I work there) and so doing
all the transfers offline is not an isuse for security or ease. Thanks
for the tip. I will muck aroung with it some to see how I like the feel
and outcome of it.

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org