epike on Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:33:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] adding a second drive

do you mean something like this

1. mount the new disk and boot as single user
2. partition the new disk to whichever new sizes of /home & /var you like
   (I suggest not taking up the whole 80 gigs; you might want to
   create partitions later)
3. some PCs like to reboot whenever you change the partition table
4. single user again; mount the 2 new partitions to temp partitions, like
   /newhome and /newvar or something
5. copy /home into /newhome , /var into /newvar using the piped-tar
   technique posted previously by the other person
6. unmount /home and /var and and mount the new ones as /home and /var
7. check if everything transferred ok
8. change /etc/fstab to reflect the new fileysem settings

JondZ