Bill Jonas on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:48:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] adding a second drive

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 06:01:55AM -0500, pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> What i intend to do is move /home and /var to the new drive, add an
> additional user, and make it as easy as possible for two of the users to
> get off the drive as the aquire their own storage space.

I don't understand this part of the question.  What's wrong with "tar
-cpf somefile.tar ~"?

> How would you handle the transition and do you thnk my current plans
> are reasonable or dumb :)

I didn't see your plans in this mail, but I vaguely recall you
mentioning making a partition for each user. :)

In any case, if you want to avoid your disk being taken over by the
other users on the system, you can set quotas.

Here's how I have my home system set up (100GB disk):

~# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 193821 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       124     62464+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2           125     39807  20000232    c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda3         39808    191837  76623120    5  Extended
/dev/hda5         39808     43775   1999840+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6         43776     83458  20000200+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7         83459    103299   9999832+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8        103300    189853  43623184+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9        189854    190845    499936+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda10       190846    191837    499936+  82  Linux swap
~# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type reiserfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /usr type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /var type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

I use hda2 for various things, including trying new distributions if the
urge strikes me.  There's a lot of swap configured because hey, I had
really bad experiences occasionally on my (then) work laptop and early
2.4 kernels, and I have a good bit of RAM in this system.  (Ever seen
the console become unusable and the disk light shine steadily?)

Yeah, I still use a /boot partition, out of habit I guess.  It can make
certain things easier, though.

/var is 10 gigs because I had plenty of room, to allow me to put stuff
in my document root (for sharing amongst different machines here), etc.
You might want to make it larger; on the other hand, Apache can easily
be configured to follow symlinks.  (Got a large file?  Stick it in $HOME
and symlink from /var/www.)

/usr, well, I install software there, and compile stuff there, so it
should be big, too.

I tend to keep lots of stuff (figuring out what to delete is annoying),
so I went a little overboard on that.

I suggest you give /boot its own primary partition (although I suppose
it's not strictly necessary to make it separate) and put all your others
in an extended partition.  Nothing is more annoying than realizing you
want to play with paritions sizes and realizing that you can't easily
because you're out of entries in the partition table.  (Way back when, I
wanted to split the Windows partition again but couldn't because I
already had four primary partitions.)

I'd also suggest separate swap partitions; word is that they're faster
than swap files.

A couple of relevant (but not overly so) HOWTOs:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO.html

mini-HOWTOs, more on-topic:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/index.html

> I appreciate any input, and am more than willing to answer the questions
> I forgot to address in this :)

FWIW, anyway. :)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html