pinkee on Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:10:14 +0100

[PLUG] adding a second drive

I have finally outgrown the drive I have in my colloe'd server
(approximately 10 gig), and so bit the bullet and purchased a new 80 GD
seagate barracuda, 7200 rpm. A little background. I am sharing the
server with one other person fairly equally, although I am the official
admin, and have one active user. I am hosting 3 active websites (FSVO
active :)) and two shell accounts, and one pop3. I am running woody
2.2.18pre21.

What i intend to do is move /home and /var to the new drive, add an
additional user, and make it as easy as possible for two of the users to
get off the drive as the aquire their own storage space. I am not
worried about a time frame or even really whether they move at all, it
is more a conveniece play for them. So, the question is: I have asked
roughly 4 or 5 people whom I trust, 3 of whom are debian specific users.
I have gotten 8 suggestions on the best way to do this, if you include
the changes of mind. The existing drive is almost full and is limiting
my choices right now. I am somewhere between newbie and competent user,
but lack decent hardware knowledge. How would you handle the transition
and do you thnk my current plans are reasonable or dumb :)

I appreciate any input, and am more than willing to answer the questions
I forgot to address in this :)

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org