pinkee on Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:40:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] posting to this list from unsubscribed addresses

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:10:38PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > > This sounds like very a bad policy, to me.  Doesn't mailman have a list
> > > of addresses that it will accept mail from, even if not subscribed?  Why
> > > not add them to that list?
> >
> > Why don't they add themselves ?
>
> There's no reason they can't, and I have no objections if you want to
> reject all messages sent from unsubscribed addresses.  That's quite a
> different policy than automatically subscribing someone to a mailing
> list they didn't ask to be subscribed to.

FWIW, I think automajically rejecting all posts from unsubcribed
addresses would be easier and less, uh hmmmm, potentially less likely to
piss people off. Write a script to respond on how to handle this
properly, respond to all messages and forget there is a problem. :)
IMO, being rude rarely helps. I do recognize how much bj amd Darxus put
into the list, but instead of adding to the work, why not decrease it?

One concern I can see is adding plug to the list of '"hot" addresses for
spmmers, but are they going to get much out of being politely larted?

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org
www.mydarlingchild.com