Rebecca Ore on Sun, 3 Feb 2002 00:40:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Creating Usenet Groups and IRC channels

On Sat, 02 Feb 2002, jbeck@jbwd.net wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone explaing in as much detail as possible what is involved in
> creating a UseNet group as well as an IRC channel (similiar to what PLUG
> has)?  This is slightly off-topic, but I am hoping someone here is familiar
> with how to do it.

To get information about creating an alt.*, go to alt.config and lurk for a
while until you see urls pointing to FAQs on alt.* group creation.  Also, lurk
for a while to see what the weather is like in that group.  For a Big Eight
group, lurk in news.groups for a while -- it's a lot more formal.

Creating an alt.* group really only requires sending a control message and
getting hundreds of your friends to ask their providers to carry it.  Sending
the control message is easy -- promoting the group to all of Usenet isn't so
easy.

If you want to run a server for friends and not distribute the group, you can
install INN or a lighter weight news server and allow people to log on to your
machine as news readers (this does *not* give them shell access).

You could even exchange self-created hieararchy with other small sites.

Nothing needed for this other than a machine that's on line and accessible
through port 119.

Or talk someone else into running a server or private group on an already
existing server for you.

Think of Usenet as something more permanent than IRC -- alt.* groups never die,
they collect spam.  Big Eight groups require showing by voting that there's
significant interest in the group among people who use Usenet (mailing lists on
the topic aren't relevant).

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net