Charles Stack on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:35:14 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown (What I did to solve it)

A friend of mine got hit by this last week.  They change their IP numbers
and all his domains were out of wack.  They hadn't bothered to tell anyone
that they were changing IP address bocks (at least not in his area).

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Robert J. Squire
Jr.
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 12:22 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown (What I did to solve it)

I had the same problem.  I called comcast to inquire about what sort of
firewall they had installed on their system (i was sure that they had) but I
gave up while on hold.  Then I noticed that my dhcp client had a new
address.  So I made a little script to see what was going on.
http://www.orbspinner.org/whoami.php.
The problem wasn't blocked ports.  It was that my hostname and domain had
changed.  In fact I have now idea why dhcp is still working because I pass
the hostname ( the old, original one ) as a parameter.  Any way, connect to
that address and you'll have your IP address and Hostname on the new
comcast.net network.  Hope this helps.

--Rob Squire
BTW:  Sorry about my last posting which contained tons of MS generated html.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What
should be the reward of such sacrifices? . If ye love wealth better than
liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of
freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed
you. May your chains sit lightly upon you."  --Samuel Adams