gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:42:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown (What I did to solve it)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:22:02AM -0600, Robert J. Squire Jr. wrote:
> The problem wasn't blocked ports.  It was that my hostname and domain had
> changed.  In fact I have now idea why dhcp is still working because I pass
> the hostname ( the old, original one ) as a parameter.

DHCP servers are free to ignore information passed from the client
and most do.

Even those that assign a specific IP address to a specific host (as
many do, static IP addr management being much easier when it's centralized)
do it by MAC address rather than randomly believing a machine is who
it says it is.

The hostname parameter in your DHCP client is effectively
meaningless. If your DHCP client also does DDNS (after getting an IP
addr, of course), that's significantly more relevant these days.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net