Louis T Dallara on Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:35:24 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown (What I did to solve it)

I was down fri and sat, (comcast) I had to remove the dash - from the name
and it was fine, funny how a little syntax error can screw things up
--Lou

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Robert J. Squire
Jr.
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 12:22 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown (What I did to solve it)

I had the same problem.  I called comcast to inquire about what sort of
firewall they had installed on their system (i was sure that they had) but I
gave up while on hold.  Then I noticed that my dhcp client had a new
address.  So I made a little script to see what was going on.
http://www.orbspinner.org/whoami.php.
The problem wasn't blocked ports.  It was that my hostname and domain had
changed.  In fact I have now idea why dhcp is still working because I pass
the hostname ( the old, original one ) as a parameter.  Any way, connect to
that address and you'll have your IP address and Hostname on the new
comcast.net network.  Hope this helps.

--Rob Squire
BTW:  Sorry about my last posting which contained tons of MS generated html.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What
should be the reward of such sacrifices? . If ye love wealth better than
liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of
freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed
you. May your chains sit lightly upon you."  --Samuel Adams