Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:30:30 +0100

Re: [PLUG] XFS w/kernel 2.4.17?

> >Changing a bunch of text files that you can easily get back from a
> central server is drastic?
>
> Sure can, if for some reason you kernel panic afterwards. Simpler to ask advice from an experienced person first, than have to (possibly) go thru some recovery process.

Always keep your current kernel as default boot. Set your prompt for 10-20
seconds when you reboot after a new kernel compile and select your new
kernel to boot. This way if things go sour, you just reboot and you are
back to where you started, and you don't have to do anything. There's
absolutely no risk to doing this is you are careful ahead of time.

The sooner you start compiling the kernel, the better. Asking advice is,
of course, definately a good idea as well. I just didn't want anyone to
get scared off from a kernel compile. Nothing to fear.

Fred