Darxus on Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:08:22 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Keysigning?

On 02/06, Jason wrote:
> I apologize. I am most likely the "one person" that is AWOL. This has turned
> into a bit of an embarassing situation for me.

Heh, yeah, that's fine.  I just wish you had told us sooner.  I have
removed that key from http://www.phillylinux.org/keys/phillylinux.gpg.

I suggest everyone run this:

 gpg --delete-key jason@nocks.com

(or the equivalent in your pgp type program)

> Foolishly, I did not generate a revoke certificate when I generated the key

Definitely a good thing to do.

On 02/06, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I would keep brute forcing it - there is no reason not to, after

My initial thought was, that's insane, the keyspace is way too huge.  Plus,
I'm sure that gpg is not at all streamlined for this so it would be even
slower than it could be.

Then I started thinking, there are some advantages:

1) He probably knows what sets of characters were used (lowercase letters,
   uppercase letters, numbers, punctuation, other).
2) It could be short.
3) There is no time limit.

So Jason, if you want to send me a copy of the secret key you lost the
passphrase too, and tell me everything you can about what characters might
have been used, I'll try to help you brute force it.  We can even split the
keyspace.  It'll be fun :)
And I promise to immediately generate a revocation certificate & upload
it to the keyservers if I manage to get the passphrase.. or whatever
else you want.

--
"It's never too late to panic."
http://www.ChaosReigns.com