Jason on Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:33:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Keysigning?

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 22H:21, you wrote:
> Any keysigning this month? How did the last one work out ... we were
> waiting on one person, last I heard.

I apologize. I am most likely the "one person" that is AWOL. This has turned
into a bit of an embarassing situation for me.

Somewhat Briefly:
I had generated my key pair about two days before the September meeting that
never happened (for obvious reasons).

I hadn't used my key outside of this group yet. After finally participating
in the January keysigning, I realized that I had completely forgotten my
passphrase when I tried to import and sign the keys of the other participants.

Knowing that I do not possess a great memory, I thought I had scribbled down
parts of my passphrase and hidden these in various locations. If I did, I
have forgotten where these are as well.

Within the past few days, I constructed a program to try various combinations
of what I would have likely used to construct a passphrase. This does not
look like it will be successfull.

It must have been a really good pass phrase. I think a full brute force
attempt to discover the pass phrase would take longer than I care to continue
waiting for enlightenment.

Foolishly, I did not generate a revoke certificate when I generated the key
pair. Can't seem to genarate one without the pass phrase. Lesson learned.

Unless I am missing something, I will likely ask the few participants in the
last keysigning to forget any knowledge of my identity. I will then take my
time getting my ducks in a row and humbly ask to participate in the next
keysigning.

Please forgive,
-Jason