John McElroy on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:03:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Full Partion

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:58:04 -0500
pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:06:16AM -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:
> >
> > There is a utility to resize partitions (I think its ext2 only).
> > Partition Magic uses the same utility for Linux.  I haven't tried it
> > myself, but looked into it some time back when I was contemplating making
> > our laptop a dual boot Debian and Redhat.
> >
> > Whatever you do, the standard warning is warranted.  Backup your data
> > before attempting changing partitions around.
>
> I have used Partition Magic many times in my earliest attempts at linux.
> Unfortunately, I no longer have it, but I had no problems with it that
> weren't directly related to user stupidity/cockiness.  That being said,
> On my next repartition attempt I am not going to be using it and
> reiterate that backing up data you can't afford to loose is essential.
>
> pinkee
> --
> www.cavegirl.org
> www.mydarlingchild.com
> "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving
> a damn."  Gore Vidal

I've used 'parted' successfully.  I needed to enlarge my /boot partition to make room for a RedHat 7.2 kernel upgrade.  So I deleted my linux swap partion and use parted to double the size of my /boot partion.  I then recreated my swap partition in the remaining space.  Worked fine.