Jim Trocki on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:21:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] why multiple IPs?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Rebecca Ore wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Jon Galt wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >   I'm curious why people would want more than one IP for a home office
> > connection.  I have a LAN with a Linksys router, and on the inside I use
> > 192.168.*.* for all my machines.  The WAN side only needs one IP.
> >   Or am I missing something?
>
> Can you run servers connected like that?

i don't know about the linksys router, but the general answer is yes,
if you do nat in both directions, or use a plug-gw-style proxy however
without some fanciness, this limits you to one server per tcp or udp port.
depending on the configuration, the real server may not know the real
ip address of the client.

this may be acceptable for some applications.