Jon Galt on Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:44:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] why multiple IPs?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Jim Trocki wrote:
> i don't know about the linksys router, but the general answer is yes,
> if you do nat in both directions, or use a plug-gw-style proxy however
> without some fanciness, this limits you to one server per tcp or udp port.
> depending on the configuration, the real server may not know the real
> ip address of the client.
>
> this may be acceptable for some applications.

Yes, my Linksys box will forward requests, based on the port.  I used it
in another location, where I had cable modem, to run a web server.  I also
set it up for ssh/scp so I and one other person could work remotely.  It
was only for development.  My server didn't seem to have a problem serving
up web pages or allowing me to log in and work.

What does "nat in both directions" mean?  For that matter, what does "nat"
mean?

Is there a case in which you would want two different servers running and
using the same port number?

Wayne