Rebecca Ore on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:43:41 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Wouldn't a news service be more appropriate?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:28:03PM -0500, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > I'd have to rewrite my readers.conf but I'm half tempted to ask you
> > for a feed of plug.*.
>
> If a mail-to-news gateway is done, why not do something like phl.linux?
> Or am I missing the point?

Half-tempted is not tempted enough.

Procmail and Mutt's management of mailing lists works for me.  Gnus adds
expires and scoring, but isn't trivial to set up.  It will run in either Emacs
or XEmacs (what I use).

I love Gnus for news, just haven't wanted to switch completely over to a mail
format that doesn't segue into other mail formats yet.

But if someone wants a way to treat mailing lists like newsgroups, Gnus does
appear to be easier than running INN locally.

http://forums.my.gnus.org/index.php?viewcat=4  has some information on
configuring Gnus.  The site with the sample .gnus/gnus.el seems to be gone.

I can mail my gnus.el to anyone who's interested as it's relatively short.  The
basic mail stuff is commented out, but there.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net